As the Japanese retailer continues to see success throughout Canada, MUJI announces a third store opening in the Metro-Vancouver area. The new location in CF Richmond Centre is set to open in April of this year following Scarborough Town Centre opening next month in Toronto. The latest Richmond store will span across an 8,100 square foot space in the mall, right next to Victoria’s Secret. Given the prediction that MUJI will have between 15-20 Canadian stores by the year 2020, we can expect to be hearing more of these announcements very soon.
Saks Fifth Avenue Calgary Unveiled
The American luxury department store has opened a new location in Calgary, marking the brand’s third Canadian store thus far. Saks’ beautiful new 115,000 square foot space in Chinook Centre is two floors, a huge upgrade from the last occupant, Target. The third full-line Canadian Saks has some noticeable differences from the 2016 Toronto locations. The accessory boutiques around the perimeter of the store aren’t decorated specifically for the brands contained in them and are being set up as “soft shops” rather than the designer specific boutiques in Toronto. They also seem to be missing some of the key higher end brands from the women’s designer section that are present in Toronto such as Azzedine Alaia, Oscar de la Renta, and Dior. This may be to target a more contemporary market. However, even with these differences, Saks Calgary offers personalized services, a rustic Italian restaurant and exclusive brands all grandly presented in an opulent shopping atmosphere that is sure to impress.
South Asian Fashion Week to Debut in Vancouver
The Hard Rock Casino in Coquitlam will be hosting a 3-day event for South Asian Fashion Week from March 2nd to 4th. This is the first time this event has been represented it Vancouver. There will be a gala and private viewing to start, followed by two days of runway shows, meeting the designers and browsing the SAFW showroom. The event will celebrate and showcase South Asian fashion designers and give a chance for people from every culture to experience upcoming trends first hand.
New Manolo Blahnik Exhibition makes last stop in North America
Manolo Blahnik: The Art of Shoes will be taking place at Toronto’s esteemed Bata Shoe Museum from May 16th, 2018 to January 6th in 2019. This will be the final stop on this exhibition’s tour after being showcased in Milan, Russia, Prague, and Madrid. The Bata Museum will have a beautiful display of Blahnik’s shoes and art, representing his important and remarkable five-decade career.
Highlights from London fashion week
- Queen Elizabeth the II and Anna Wintour make history together by sitting front row at the Richard Quinn show – the first time Her Majesty has ever attended London Fashion Week.
- Christopher Bailey’s celebratory exit collection for Burberry creates a note-worthy statement about his teenage life and a strong, proud and free stance on the future of the LGBTQ+ community.
- Erdem delights with an Adele Astaire inspired array of romantic and rich dresses and coats.
- J.W. Anderson shows off extremely wearable, street-style-photo worthy collection after his recent collaboration with Converse.
- Timeless fall trends are revisited in new ways: metallic, plaid, jacquard, florals, embellishments; creating a sense of optimism for the future of creativity and business for British fashion.
Image courtesy of The Closet Heros